Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Logitech X-240 speakers, and humming.

This is way off the usual RC topic, but recently I purchased some Logitech X-240 2.1 speakers for my main PC in the study. They sound fine, but they hum like crazy as soon as the amp is switched on.

For those of you with the same speakers annoyed by the hum, allow me to let you know I'm about to pull this sucker apart and find the source. I've already had a peek inside the box by removing the subwoofer and I can see a very cheap job of cabling, and a separate AC-DC transformer. The transformer will be my first port of call, following by the amplifier circuit itself.

I may not fix it, but I haven't seen anyone else yet trying to fix their X-240. Sure it may well be because they're so cheap and folks feel like "they get what they pay for", but I've got a 10-year old Altec Lansing 2.1 system on my wife's PC which doesn't hum at all, and I recall paying a similar price. I am determined to track down and fix the hum, unlike Logitech who don't seem to care a whisker (the problem looks to be have been in the product for a long time).

1 comment: